Sunday, September 9, 2012
Perfect dipped in tea, or coffee. A very popular and well known Italian Cookie. There are so many variations of this cookie, this is one of the simplest ways to prepare it, using walnuts as the nut of choice. Now any type of nut can work, almonds, fennel seeds, sun flower seeds, even cranberries would go great. Vera in this video will demonstrate how quickly and in about an hours time, you will have a batch of biscotti, home made! Its also very not very expensive to make. Hope you give this recipe a try, its a keeper!
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts,
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups all purpose butter
2 tablespoon butter, melted
* Preheat owen 180C / 350F degrees - Middle rack.
* In a large mixing bowl, crack all the eggs, and whisk together.
* Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and sugar and mix together.
* Pour in the melted butter slowly, and incorporate with the eggs.
* In another mixing bowl, add the all purpose flour and baking powder. Whisk together.
* Pour the egg mixture in batchs into the flour and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon. (dough should be sticky)
* Add the walnuts and mix together.
* Place the dough on a floured surface.
* Form into a log, then cut the dough in half and flatten the dough to a 1/2 inch thick.
* Place both the flattened dough onto a baking mat on a cookie sheet.
* Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
* Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
* With a bread knife cut in an angle about 1 inch thick.
* Place them flat back into the cookie sheet.
* Bake in the oven again for 10 minutes.
* Then flip over and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes. (This process will help giving it a golden color as well as drying or toasting it)