Friday, September 7, 2012
Other European Recipes : How To Make Gravlax
This tangy marinated fish dish offers an exotic alternative for an appetizer at a dinner party. Your guests will never guess just how easy it is to make.
SERVING : 8 to 10
Preparation Time : 12 hours 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
500 g salmon fillets, skinless
8 Tbsp salt
1 orange, the juice and zest
6 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp whole allspice berries, crushed
1 large bunch of fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbsp cognac
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 deep tray
1 kitchen tweezers
1 cling film
1 kitchen paper
1 cutting board
Check for bones
* Run your fingers over the salmon and remove any small bones.
Make the marinade
* In a bowl mix the sugar, salt, peppercorns, all spice berries, orange zest, cognac, orange juice and most of the dill (save some for later).
Marinate the fish
* Line a deep tray with cling film, spread some of the marinade in the tray, and place the salmon on top.
* Pour the rest of the marinade over the salmon.
* Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 12 hours, turning the salmon over once.
Remove the fish
* Take the salmon out of the fridge and remove it from the marinade.
* Wash it with cold water and dry with kitchen paper.
Rub with oil
* Pour a little olive oil over the salmon and rub it in.
* Spread the remaining dill on top of the fillet.
TIP : Gravlax will stay fresh for a week if wrapped in cling film and placed in the fridge.
Slice and serve
* Slice the salmon thinly with a sharp knife.
* Serve with crusty bread and mustard.